Items needed:

  • A submitted application, including $100.00 fee paid to Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS)
  • Official* transcript(s) from a regionally accredited college or university.
  • ​​A copy of a high school diploma or GED certificate, only required for applicants who completed only have 60 semester of college hours. 

You will need to register you license in the region you will be working to make the license valid.  That is done after your license has been issued. 

*Note:  To be official, transcripts must be submitted in an envelope sealed by the college or university or be sent directly by the institution. Transcripts received that are not in a sealed envelope from the university or not sent directly from the university will be considered unofficial and cannot be used for evaluation purposes.

Please submit your documentation to the Regional Office of Education #8 at the address below:
Regional Office of Education #8

Attn: License Dept. 
27 S. State Ave, Suite 101
Freeport, IL 61032





Short Term Approval – Paraprofessional (STA-PARA)

The STA-PARA is only good until June 30, 2023, and is


  • Cost: $50.00 paid online when applying with ISBE. 
  • Proof of a High School Diploma/Transcript with graduation date posted or GED Equivalent must be sent to your local ROE or ISBE. 


click here

One of the following options must be demonstrated:

  1. Completed 60 semester hours of college credit at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
  2. Obtained an associate degree (or higher) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
  3. Passing score of the ETS paraprofessional test.  Please click on this link if you need to schedule the test with our office. 
  • ​ETS parapro test study guide: link